1- TOPSHOP blazer
2 – Urban Outfitters sunglasses
3 – FINGER IN THE NOSE dress
4 – ASOS clutch
5 – NOIR Jewelry friendship bracelet
6 – TOMS wedges
It’s our nation’s birthday and surely you’ll be celebrating in some way today like I plan on it. Chances are you’re going to have to go from day to night, so items like these will not only help you through that transition, but they can be worn throughout the season.
STYLIST TIP: I got a text from a friend the other day asking if she should purchase a pair of American flag sneakers—to which I replied “NO.” Avoid buying items you may only wear one day of the year (like that “Kiss me I’m Irish” shirt you may break out every St. Patty’s day) and invest in pieces that you can wear all season long and still be festive in.
I went to a wedding of one of my favorite couples this past weekend and while I was so excited for this getaway, the packing was more daunting than I thought. Not only was I packing for the weekend away, I forgot that I usually treat my evening clutch like a mini styling kit to tackle any styling emergency that may come my way—other my friends’ ways. I’ve saved many a wedding styling emergency with some of these essentials on my cheat sheet and now you can too, whether you’re a guest, a bridesmaid or a bride…
1. Topstick – Okay, so you may think I’m nuts for telling you that toupee tape is the #1 must in every woman’s evening bag, but how do you think celebs get through an evening without wardrobe malfunctions? This strong double stick tape keep those ladies in your dress. Take note Janet Jackson.
2. Wrinkle Wiz – Don’t you hate when you have your dress perfectly pressed and then you get those horrible lines after you’ve been sitting in a car? Problem solved.
3. Dr. Scholl’s Moleskin padding – Keep pieces of this in your purse to stick onto your shoes for those places that feel like they may cause blisters. Dance the night away. Repeat.
4. Tide To Go Pens – I love how these fit in even the tiniest of clutches and can save you from the drunk girl who spilled on your new dress. Just make sure to dab with water after, so it doesn’t leave a ring around the stain. You’ll thank me later.
5. Travel Size Big Sexy Hair Spray Hairspray – Double duty! This can save your hair do when it’s falling flat AND a run in your stocking.
Rebecca Minkoff clutch – Not essential, but it’s adorbs.
Producer: Anne Vickman
Stylist: Liz Teich (Team)
Hair: Michael Albor
Makeup – Dani Wagener
Model – Erin (Maggie)
This was a particularly fun shoot to work on because it was like planning my own wedding all over again—with a Kardashian budget. The Monique Lhuillier dress in the first image or the Carolina Herrera peplum gown would be dream alternatives to the traditional white gown. I would even wear Erickson Beamon necklace to just about every occasion, like grocery shopping, if I could. Drool.
1 – Bumble and Bumble “Surf Spray” – This essential is something I’ve found in just about every hairstylists’ kits on photoshoots to create that easy breezy beachy hair without a trip to the beach.
2 – K.Belo swim top and bottom / Beth Lauren bracelet / Jessica Simpson hat (at TJMaxx)
3 – Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer with SPF 20 – Get flawlessly even skin, even while at the beach with this moisturizer with light coverage.
4 – Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics “Lip Tar” – This product was introduced to me by my makeup artist friend (with some famous clients like The Roots), Maria Scali, who got me hooked on this all natural, yet saturated line of lip color—which is perfect to get some color on you for those scorchers that you don’t want to wear much makeup on your face.
5 – Xhilaration Watch – For only $12.99, this could be the perfect watch to wear to the beach or at the risk of getting splashed by the pool.
6 – Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Rosé – This is the grown-up organic version of Chapstick. It not only soothes chapped lips with natural ingredients (stop eating those chemicals on your lips!!), but it protects them with SPF15 AND gives you a little rosy tint too—a MUST in your beach bag.
7 – Volcom “Fooled You” beach cooler bag – Fooled you is right. This cute bag doubles as an insulated cooler to keep your picnic at the beach or park cool. Cool!
1 – Gypsies & Debutantes bracelet / 2 – Wrecords By Monkey iPhone case / 3 – Beth Lauren earrings /
4 – Nona E. Rose belt / 5 – Olivier Green A/W ’12 dress
With the movie Rock of Ages coming out next week, I’m ready to get in the rock spirit. I love mixing my usual feminine bohemian style with some edgier pieces daily, but now I have some excuses to add some subtle indie rock nods with feminine details to my look.